Friday, January 16, 2009

Hope Against Hope

“Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” ~ George Weinberg

”Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope.” ~ Author Unknown

“Hope is the word which God has written on the brow of every man.” ~ Victor Hugo


Ahh there’s a word…HOPE. It means different things to different people. I HOPE I get that job promotion. I HOPE traffic lets up so I’m not late. I HOPE he likes me. I HOPE I’m not getting sick. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Hope is defined as a desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment. Perhaps I’m using the word “hope” incorrectly these days. You see, I have an incredibly strong desire but it’s foolish to think that it will come to fruition the way I’m HOPING it will. There’s a term HOPE AGAINST HOPE and that means to hope without any basis for expecting fulfillment. Maybe that’s the right attitude to have. But then, isn’t that doubting or being negative? Is it being realistic? Isn’t it exciting to HOPE? To have the anticipation that everything will turn out the way you want it too? But it doesn’t always work that way and then those feelings of hope are met with disappointment and sadness.

To go through life hopeless would be depressing. You’d never have anything to look forward to. You wouldn’t be able to celebrate those moments of prayers being answered or hope coming true. I suppose that being hopeful isn’t so bad. It’s a chance you take that may be met with conflict but at least there was that moment – that fleeting moment – when you felt all the world was right and you believed wholeheartedly that the end result would be what you wanted…what you expected.


The Dance

Looking back, on the memory of,
The dance we shared, beneath the stars above,
For a moment, all the world was right,
How could I have known, that you'd ever say goodbye,

And now, I'm glad I didn't know,
The way it all would end, the way it all would go,
Our lives, are better left to chance,
I could have missed the pain,
But I'd have had to miss, the dance.

Holding you, I held everything
For a moment, wasn't I the king.
If I'd only known, how the king would fall.
Well who's to say, you know I might have changed it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance,
I could have missed the pain,
But I'd have had to miss, the dance.

Yes my life, is better left to chance,
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss, the dance

No comments: